Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Adaappavi..

" Deii..Rhomba feel pannavai " This was the first line i learnt in Tamil ( with the help of Y! audibles )..and whenever i figured out some of my friends were from Madras, i sat by their side and tried to figure out what they were talking.

During my training days, my batch happened to be mixed with a few hundred odd people from Madras.And luckily for me, few of them happened to me my batchmates then , my teammates after that.During training, i used to poke around them saying " Dude u guys have to teach me Tamil ". They asked why i wanted to learn tamil so eagerly. I used to reply saying because i am a fan of Trisha ( Read Nayanatara now :P ), i want to watch her movies.They said that we make a deal.I teach them telugu and they would teach me Tamil.

When i was into a project, i was the only guy who dint understand/spoke Tamil.One guy from Hyderabad ( my batchmate and roomie ) could understand Tamil, and my senior pros in the project used to speak in Tamil I cudn't figure out what they were speaking about and also looked a bit foolish when i used to smile at the jokes which i dint understand.But then determination paved in.And slowly but surely, i have started to understand little bit of tamil, though i can't speak it except for small words and phrases like " Vaymudu" , " Saaptiya " , " Solraan " , " Adaappavi "( I heard it wada-pav the first time, the food freak which i am :P ) .And i've been addicted to use "da" and "macha" along with "maadi","mama","babai","orey"..

Got to know that Tamil has its very own slangs like all languages do, and that the one spoken in Madras is the cocktail of tha lot.My cousins stay in chennai, and so i messaged them one day saying "Saaptiya ?", and they were like what's wrong with this guy..

PS : Naan oru thadamai sonna, nooru thadamai sonnaa maadiri :)

PPS : NOM

PPPS : I prefer 'Madras' to 'Chennai' , 'Bombay' to 'Mumbai', 'Calcutta' to 'Kolkata', 'Poona' to 'Pune', 'Bangalore' to 'Bengalooru'...

PPPPS : I wanted to write more, but dont know why i am unable to write what i intended to

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hhahaa...u caught the bug too...I had it when I had a bunch of tamil frens back in austin but now the buzz here is gujrati...have to see how i wade thru that...btw I can understand a little bit of malayalam enough to translate some sentances...hhahahaa that's fun i think...learn tamil and teach me too later :D